Old February 24th 04, 09:31 PM
ChipS

"W3JDR" wrote in message
Take a look at Analog Devices' line of DDS chips. Pretty much a one-chip
(needs ucontroller to drive it) digital solution to turn your 10MHz clock
into virtually any frequency below 5 MHz (in theory; below 4MHz in easy
practicality). The AD9834 only consumes 20mw at 3.3 VDC. There are many
other devices in the product line. Many have built-in comparators to

produce
square-wave output.

Joe
W3JDR

Joe, I'd gladly use the Analog Devices DDS chips if they offered them in
something other than a SadoMasochistic Device (SMD) package. It's a darn
shame they can't make a limited run (say 10k) of some of these chips in a
PDIP package for hams and other r.f. experimenters.

If they put the AD9835 in a PDIP and sold it for about $10.00 (the TSSOP
packaged version sells for about $6, I think) , I'd buy a dozen for various
projects, but in the tiny SMD package they're nothing but useless to me.

I'm new to the newsgroup and am sure that this is not the first gripe about
SMD's, but I refuse to use them - not because I can't (at least not yet),
but because I don't want to endure the angst.
--
Chip
KC5UES