Old March 22nd 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] arthrnyork@webtv.net is offline

Default So - on the topic of HF radio...

On Mar 22, 12:15*pm, bpnjensen wrote:
...last night reception here in California was odd. *A rising K-index
apparently resulted in lots of noise and very squirrely propagation,
like the ionosphere was randomly red hot and ice cold. *For the most
part, the lower bands were totally NG - 60/75/90 all were nearly dead
through 0700z. *41 and 49 were not much better, with only the
strongest big boys punching through, and even then not very strongly.
Despite the SFI up to 105, Most stations were a couple S-units below
their usual levels, with a few minor exceptions on 25m and 31m.

The exception was R. Educacion in Mexico City, 6185 khz. *Usually a
difficult station here, with low modulation and battered by the big
relays on either side of it, last night it outshone them all, with a
20 over S-9 signal, crystal clear fidelity and magnificent
steadiness. *I have a hard time believing it was propagation alone
that did this - but unless they suddenly found a 100-kW transmitter
lying around, I'm not sure how they managed this signal.

Things are getting interesting :-)

Same here,on the E.Coast ! Propagation varies wildly from great to
almost complete zilch, with the exception of the regular ever-present
Bible Study stations . . . R.Educacion was always a modest low power
broadcast station ( 10kW) , maybe they have raised the power a bit
lately . I doubt very much it is a 100kW station . But again , you
never know-- we are living in a very Troublesome Times , to say the
least .