Old March 25th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
David Griffith David Griffith is offline

Default N to 3/8-24

raypsi wrote:
On Mar 24, 1:17*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
raypsi wrote:
Hey OT:
Exactly what I would do almost.
Homebrew my own from a Type N bulkhead chassis mount connector as seen
he
https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...onnectorBrochu....
I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.
I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud
Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler
Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

I'm a bit concerned as to how strong such an arrangement would be.

hey OT:

A 5/8 wave whip is sum like 57 inches in fiberglass, a gum drop mount
is pretty supstantial, my gum drop mount is like 3 inches in diameter
at the base, I used a uni multi step drill bit to cut the 3/4 inch
hole in the trunk of my Taurus. My whip was a 11 meter 1/4 wave
fiberglass whip I cut down to get 5/8 wave on 2 meters, and because
it's fiberglass makes it broadbanded from 144 to 148 Mhz like
1.2-1.1/1 across the band

There isn't quite that much room on the base of an Arrow J-pole.

I'm wondering how much loss there would be if I simply add an SO239-to-N
converter and solder the threads together.

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs