Old February 27th 04, 08:39 PM
Geoffrey G. Rochat

Dougwix wrote in message
Back in the late 60's, I built a one tube superhet from a magazine called
Elementary Electronics. I still have that radio but not the magazine. Can
anyone tell me what month and year had that project? The circuit uses a

6M11
compactron and a 1N34 detector.
Doug

WA2ISE has a site that describes interesting mods to "All-American 5" AM
radios, and the following URL discusses a 3 Compactron set. By changing the
rectifier and detector to solid state devices, and either sacrificing IF
gain and/or speaker output, it might be possible to squeeze all that into
two triodes and a pentode, which is what's in a 6M11. It's not exactly what
you're looking for, but it may give you or somebody else some clever ideas:

http://pw2.netcom.com/~wa2ise/radios/compaa3.html

W0PBV wrote elsewhere in this thread of a "Project E10, One-Compactron
Receiver - All Bands" article in "Popular Electronics" magazine. This may
be the article to which he refers:

http://www.jvgavila.com/compac.htm