Old February 29th 04, 11:06 PM
John Miles

In article ,
says...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

The packaging is not "impossible" - it just takes some different

techniques
to do the
soldering - read the QEX article on a DDS/PLL synthesiser in the latest
issue of QEX

I'm pretty comfortable with SOP's and can get along with a TSSOP's, although
I can't say I like it. In that article, he used TQFP's which, although I
haven't yet had the need, I suspect I can deal with. I use the same
technique for TSSOP's that he describes in the article.

Actually, the 16-pin PLL chips are TSSOPs, while the AD9852/AD9854
packages I used are considered "LQFP" packages. These are a little
thicker than TQFP but are otherwise pretty similar. The DDSes have the
same spacing between pins as the TSSOPs (0.5 mm) but more of 'em (80).

But when I tried to order samples of 9854's the other day, the only choice
was BGA's. I have no clue how to deal with them. Yeah, solder paste and an
oven MAYBE, but without machine placement seems like a crap shoot.

That's not good news. BGAs really *are* the end of the world for
homebrewing as far as I'm aware. I have not heard of any techniques for
soldering them by hand.

Interestingly, though, having just checked FindChips.com, Digi-Key
appears to be selling both AD9852ASQs
(
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...ame=AD9852ASQ-
ND&Site=US) and ADF4112 PLLs
(http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...sus.dll?PName?
Name=ADF4112BRU-ND&Site=US). That *is* good news. I'll have to go
update the article page.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam