Old July 11th 03, 04:37 PM
David Cook

Default Tuner detunes antenna

I recently bought an MFJ-986 tuner and have been using it will good results
on a balanced feed antenna, but I just found an odd behavior. I have a 40
and 20 meter dipole that I've used for several years, and 20 meter elements
are tuned to 14.125 which gives me a decent SWR on CW and the low end of
SSB. I thought I'd hook it to the tuner so I could use the top end of 20
meters and tune the off-resonance SWR down. I found that when I hooked the
antenna to the tuner and fed it through the Coax1 Direct, the 1:1 SWR point
shifted down about 13.950! I took the tuner out of the circuit and it again
tunes at the normal frequency. So I tried it on the Coax 2 connector and
found that that one shifted the 1:1 SWR frequency down about 14.050. I
called MFJ technical support and they, of course, had no clue. I also
fiddled with the tuning knobs, thinking that there might be some interaction
inside the box even though the coax was in the direct connect mode, but no
interaction found. The 40 meter dipole seems stable, as far as the resonance
shifting goes, but I haven't done much testing with it yet. Has anyone
seen/heard of anything like this with the MFJ-986 or any similar tuner?

Thanks and 73,
-- Dave, WA0TTN