Old April 6th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default Solar charger noise....awareness.

On 04/05/2011 10:07 AM, m II wrote:

On 11-04-05 06:32 AM, dave wrote:

But if the inverter is still charging the batteries in daylight, won't
the RFI still be a potential problem in daylight?

The inverter only creates the Aztec pyramid looking "sine waves" for 117
VAC; batteries are charged through a voltage regulator. There are PV
panels with regulators built-in, which can directly charge 14 VDC
batteries.

The peak power tracking chargers/regulators have the 'slice and dice'
circuitry in them. The idea being that you can get more power out of a
130 volt panel connection than a 17 volt one.

If you connect a 17 volt panel to a 12 volt battery, it's not too bad
for losses. Try it with a 34 volt panel and you lose half the output, as
the panel output voltage gets reduced to that of the battery.

A better insight into mppt chargers may be seen he

http://www.golandcentury.com/mppt

Thanks. I think some of that is pseudoscience or otherwise
insignificant. I'll eat the inefficiency in the name of noise
prevention. Always avoid PWM if you value your airwaves.

http://www.solardirect.com/pv/controllers/asc.htm