Old April 7th 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default 40/15M dipole question

tom wrote:
On 4/6/2011 8:16 PM, John - KD5YI wrote:
On 4/6/2011 2:51 PM, John - KD5YI wrote:

Hey Cecil -

I got:

Impedance = 85.26 - J 186.3 ohms
SWR (50 ohm system) = 10.337 (75 ohm system) = 7.308

Let's see if we can determine why they don't match.

I adjusted the wire length for no reactance at 7.2 MHz.
I used 99 segments of #14 wire. I did not include insulation effects.

How about yours?

John

Are you using 9 segments?

John

I think may have missed something on how segmentation works. I thought
you needed an even number of segments to split a dipole evenly.

So while 99 is close to centered by my logic, if 9 was used it might
skew things a bit.

If I'm off base please tell me so I can adjust my model of how NEC works.

I always use an odd number of segments, and the middle segment is where
I feed it. The voltage source is essentially in series with the
segment, and if your segments are short enough, the current distribution
along the segment is effectively uniform, so it makes no difference.
OTOH, I'm running NEC4 with a lot of memory in double precision, so
using hundreds of segments isn't a big deal.