Old April 7th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default 40/15M dipole question

wrote:
Thank you for the response, folks. I appreciate it.

........and OUCH!!!.......

The swr is higher than I had hoped for. I was hoping to use a duo-
band 15/40 meter wire dipole that could be fed directly with 50 ohm
coax connected to my Yaesu FT-450AT with internal tuner.

But the FT 450 AT internal tuner will only match up to a 3:1 swr, so
that won't be "do-able".

Thank you again......

FjLee KA0FPJ
Denver CO

I think it *will* work (based on practical experience.. I've done this a
bunch of times).. you just need to fiddle with the length to get an
acceptable match in both bands. And, of course, you're not going to get
something which matches the bottom of one band and the top of the other.

People fling up dipoles (theoretical feedpoint Z around 70 ohms) and
feed them with 50 ohm coax all the time and never give it a second
thought. (partly that's because rarely is the dipole perfectly flat..
if it droops or peaks up, the Z gets closer to 50 ohms)