Old April 11th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
dave dave is offline

Default WHLO studio picture

David Kaye wrote:
dave wrote:

That looks like air vents to a reel to reel unit, and the thing that
looks like a cart looks too long to be one. Still, it could be.

I'm looking at a blowup of the photo now. Those are definitely carts with
white labels on them, with some kind of writing on them. At the left on the
label is a red splotch that looks like a logo or maybe a number. To the left
of the label is a patch of blue. In those days Fidelipac carts came in blue.

Also, to the left of the left turntable is clearly a cart with the tape side
turned toward the viewer. Fidelipacs had 3 holes, one for the capstan, one
for the record head, and one for the playback head.

The brushed aluminum chairs definitely look of the era.

The label on the record the DJ is cuing up is Laurie Records of NYC, which was
very big in the late 50s/early 60s, but changed their label by the mid-60s.

David,

Thanks for the second look. My guess is that you really know your way
around a radio studio! I've enjoyed your insight.

Moving forward a few decades, the radio studio of today is sooo
different. No turntables or cart machines or even notes above the
control board -- just a computer screen. Of course, the other thing
that is (usually) gone is the DJ. Replaced by voice tracking. Isn't
progress wonderful?

Thanks again.

Dave,