Old April 12th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
Mark Howell[_2_] Mark Howell[_2_] is offline

Default WHLO studio picture

"John Higdon" wrote in message

In article ,
dave wrote:

But for all of its traditional-trapping shortcomings, the talent can
simultaneously do production and do a live radio show. It isn't the
voice tracking that is evil (virtually all stations have it, even those
that are "live"); it is simply a tool to increase productivity.

I know of one who does a request show from his home studio via
voice-tracking. The station's request line is forwarded to his house, he
takes and records the calls, cuts and edits the voice tracks, and sends them
via high-speed internet to the station's automation system, which he also
can control remotely, and changes the playlist and inserts the tracks as
needed. The calls and requests are delayed by mere minutes.

In my little part-time-just-for-fun gig, which is always "live," I will
sometimes use voice-tracking to do a complicated bit in a break. That way
there's no danger of "blowing it" live. If I screw up, I just re-do it. I
usually don't work more than about ten minutes ahead. I can also give
myself a lunch break mid-shift, by recording a few tracks.

Today's computerized automation systems not only increase productivity, they
can be used (in the right hands) to increase creativity.

Mark Howell