Old April 12th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default WHLO studio picture

John Higdon wrote:

I was musing just today about how easy (and cheap) it is now to do a
full remote broadcast from anywhere in the world, and yet no one seems
to be interested in remotes anymore. [irony on] Too much work, I guess!
[irony off]

More than 30 years ago a popular DJ at KNEW did a remote from somewhere, I
forget. I think it was Hillsdale Mall. Anyhow, his setup was (1) mic, (2)
headphones, (3) mixer, (4) button. Wasn't much to look at.

Today I doubt that many advertisers would pay to have remotes, and likely
because with so much stereo and studio equipment in people's homes, there is
no magic in showing off a radio remote. My new housemate has a bigger mixing
board with more channels and more effects than any commercial broadcast
console in existence.

Now, as to the the location advantage, that only really works for interviews,
and few stations but talk stations do interviews much. It'd be good if KGO
got out. Some years back I tried to get KALW interested in siting their
studio in a storefront in a rent/promo exchange. I had a potential landlord
lined up but the KALW people were already destined to locate at the Burton
high school instead.