Old April 13th 11, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default WHLO studio picture

In article ,
dave wrote:

Excellent points. Speaking of remotes, most stations use a cell phone.
It is difficult for me to watch a radio personality wait for the
program cue ("...and now, live and remote..."), then they talk into a
cell phone until the automation takes back control. Contrast that to
the 60's when the radio station had a dedicated broadcast line, a Sparta
board, and a live board operator at the station. Yes, it is easier this
way, but TV diners are easier than a good meal too.

That actually wasn't what I was talking about. I was referring to
remotes with full-fidelity stereo links to the studio, with full
broadcast setups from the remote site. KKIQ periodically does the whole
morning show from Tommy T's in Pleasanton. The setup is scalable to do
that show from anywhere in the world.

Now, instead of ordering broadcast circuits from the east coast or
Europe, or even ISND lines, it can be done over the Internet for
zero-cost per minute.

By the way, WHLO was one of the kings of remotes. They did a lot of
them in the 60's. Car dealers, restaurants, furniture stores,
exhibitions, amusement park, department stores, etc.

KKIQ used to do several "real" remotes a week. That's been cut
considerably, even though today's technology provides quality
unattainable in past years.

One other point that I'm hearing a lot -- there is no money in radio
unless one is in a major market. Thus, creative people go elsewhere,
and the remote is as cheap as possible. Elaborate jingles -- gone.
News coverage 24/365 -- gone. Good radio personality 24 hrs. -- gone.

Yes, that is how the creative-less conglomerates excuse themselves for
only being able to sustain stations in the top ten (maybe top twenty)
markets. I'm at the NAB for the primary purpose to deal with a shopping
list of major equipment for the small stations I work for. They're doing
just fine, thank you very much.

Thank goodness for the mp3 player. It is as good as radio is today.

I have to agree with you. But please remember where the blame lies. We
have financiers, investment brokers, MBAs of every description,
self-proclaimed programming consultants, and private equity companies
controlling the major so-called broadcasting companies these days...not
broadcasters.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400