Old April 14th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting
John Higdon[_2_] John Higdon[_2_] is offline

Default WHLO studio picture

In article ,
(David Kaye) wrote:

A *real* engineer works nights and weekends, in the rain and sleet and snow
and gloom of night. This daytime work is for sissies.

With all due respect, that is very easy to say for someone who has not
spent decades walking the walk. Today, there is increasingly more
daytime administration required and it is very difficult to put in a
full-day's work and then stay up all night. I've reached a point that I
cannot do that anymore, and I have so advised my charges that if I have
to work overnight, they will not see me in the studio during the day for
two or three days thereafter.

The pay does not support martyrdom.

At least KGO works on their equipment. I find it hard to fathom that KNBR,
former NBC West Coast flagship, has audio so bad you have to turn up the
volume to understand what they're saying. Sounds like their high end rolls
off at 1khz.

KGO takes its audio very seriously. Unfortunately, there are stations
that don't. Some stations don't even know they sound bad, so it is
unknown whether they would fix the problems or not if they were aware of
them.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400