Old April 15th 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Kenneth Scharf Kenneth Scharf is offline

Default SB-1000 problem

On 04/13/2011 09:37 PM, Edward Knobloch wrote:
Hi, Chris

Very good. I'm glad your 3-500Z survived OK.

People avoid the rectangular shaped resistors
(which look like cement) for this application - I don't know
if they feel that the insulation is insufficient
for the 3 KV to be encountered, or if they feel the resistor
won't shatter enough to act as a fuse.

Enjoy your SB-1000!

73,
Ed

On 4/13/2011 9:11 AM, Christopher Hall wrote:
Thanks for the info Ed, I have learned a lot and you and everyone else
has
been a great help. I removed the blown resistor and reconnected the
lead and
the amp works FB again, so problem solved. Im glad it turned out to be so
simple. I will install another 10ohm 10W resistor to replace the blown
one
in the near future before I put the amp back on the air for real.

Thanks again all and 73
Chris
VE9CEH

I would test any wire would resistor with a grid dip meter to make sure
it ISN'T self resonant on any ham band, otherwise it will fail again.
OR You can prevent the self resonant problem by putting a .01 uf 1000v
ceramic capacitor in parallel with it.