Old April 16th 11, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.shortwave
Scott[_4_] Scott[_4_] is offline

Default Cleaning out QEX magazines

On 4-16-2011 00:40, Kenneth Scharf wrote:

All of you are also forgetting that the ARRL (for better or worse) is
now the 'back bone' of the system that handles testing for ham licenses.
Without them it would be almost impossible to find where you can locally
take the test to apply for or upgrade your ham ticket.

Don't forget W5YI as a VEC. That's who I'm affiliated with, although
I'm not active with any VEC at present. They list VEs by state, so you
can find a local examiner.
http://www.w5yi.org/exam_locations_ama.php

The ARRL also
publishes most of the test guide material (though I would be surprised
if it wasn't also available on line). Finally they have a good line of
excellent technical publications on radio and electronics technology.

Yes, so I would almost say they are more in the publishing business than
the lobbying business.

Also they DO offer membership without QST, for additional members of a
family. Maybe the price of that will give you an idea of what they think
the membership itself is worth.

So, can I just pay for membership and skip QST?

I believe they are required by the IRS to set a "value" on membership if
they are a non-profit. They are a non-profit, aren't they?