Old April 26th 11, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Richard Clark Richard Clark is offline

Default Transmitter Output Impedance

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:12:23 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

(If I had a very efficient op amp, I could simulate any arbitrary output
impedance, without dissipating any power in the source)

I can see why this is parenthetical, because it covers a lot of sins
of omission.

First we bang up against the wall of Gain Bandwidth Product. If you
are talking about resistive loads at low power DC, then your statement
is trivially valid.

Second, the ability to "simulate" any arbitrary output (or input for
that matter) impedance for an OP AMP is well defined in the closed
loop gain (which robs from the open loop gain for frequency by
proportion to GBP).

Taking the conventional RF Power Deck of any consumer (Ham) product,
the similarity to an OP AMP is wholly foreign, and for good and
commercial reason. If one were motivated to engineer in the necessary
noise amplifier (a term coined by H.W. Bode who defined this topic of
source Z and applied it to the negative gain or feedback path); then
we would find that the exact same loss is exhibited in the exact same
component(s).

However, by virtue of OP AMP characteristics we would benefit to
vastly better distortion figures, far less spurious content, and
virtually no need for either the conventional impedance transformer,
nor the bandwidth filter that follows the same power deck (provided,
of course, that the drive input is sinusoidal - which it never is,
unfortunately, for this scenario). This novel OP-AMP/Power-Deck
redesign would also confer considerable power supply rejection (that
voltage could sag or rise without appreciable effect) and noise
rejection (the internal noise from other circuitry would not migrate
into the signal output). ALL such benefits are strictly derived from
the amount of negative feedback (not to be confused, as are many
readers to this topic, with the rather ordinary compensation cap in
the last stage).

Why isn't this done as a service to the customer?

Cost.

Again, OP AMP design merits are paid for in lost gain and bandwidth.
The price is found in the amount of negative feedback that goes to
lower the overall amplification. Would you pay for this improved cool
performance to run 10W in the 80M band from a formerly crackly and hot
100W 10-80M band capable source?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC