Old May 8th 11, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John KD5YI[_5_] John KD5YI[_5_] is offline

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

On 5/7/2011 7:58 PM, wrote:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...20meter%20halo

Myself I'd probably stick a small 3 el yagi on that
lamp mast if you had room..
Good bit more punch for SSB, and being things are
reciprocal, it will improve reception. If you squeeze
an extra 6 db from the antenna system, that's like
taking 50 watts and turning it to 200.
Best deal on an "amp" you will find..
I'm not sure the gain using a halo, but I suspect
it's probably pretty close to a dipole. Maybe a tad
more, but it's not going to be a drastic difference.
A loop has some gain broadside vs a dipole, but I'm
not sure what you get running one on it's side.

Not very good. Most of the RF goes up. It is particularly bad along the
axis of the driven wire (assumes wire driven in the center). Not quite
as bad normal to that axis. Might be improvable by feeding the corner.

I think a simple vertical would do better.

Cheers,
John