Old May 8th 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.sport.golf,rec.radio.shortwave,alt.conspiracy
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Amazing

On May 7, 3:59*pm, dxAce wrote:
"John B." wrote:
On May 6, 9:31 pm, John Smith wrote:
On 5/6/2011 2:14 PM, John B. wrote:

On May 6, 5:09 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2011 12:45:36 -0700 (PDT), "John B."
*wrote this crap:

I would venture to guess that the government makes more off the sale of
a gallon of gas than is involved in all the profits of
mining/drilling/pumping/transporting/sale of all the private sector
business COMBINED!

The profits to government is already a heinous crime of the highest level!

Sir, you are correct. *The oil companies make only pennies per gallon
at the pump. *However, (from Wikipedia):

State Diesel Taxes, April 2009Fuel taxes in the United States vary by
state. The United States federal excise tax on gasoline, as of
February 2011, is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for
diesel fuel. In January 2011, motor gasoline taxes averaged 48.1 cents
per gallon and diesel fuel taxes averaged 53.1 cents per gallon.[8]
For the first quarter of 2009, the mean state gasoline tax is 27..2
cents per US gallon, plus 18.4 cents per US gallon federal tax making
the total 45.6 cents per US gallon (12.0 ¢/L). For diesel, the mean
state tax is 26.6 cents per US gallon plus an additional 24.4 cents
per US gallon federal tax making the total 50.8 cents US per gallon
(13.4 ¢/L).

It's not the oil companies gouging us, it's the government.

45.6 cents is slightly more than 10 percent of what I paid per gallon
to fill up my car yesterday. All the rest went to Sunoco.

Did it now? *The station owner makes a profit. *The delivery company
makes a profit. *The refineries and transportation companies get their
cut.

OK, fine, but your prior assertion was that the government took it all.

Actually, you might mean me. *And, it is my belief that government DOES
get over half of all the profit on a gallon of gas! *Through multiple
taxes on multiple facets of the oil industry, shipping, storing,
selling, etc.

Regards,
JS

No, I meant Horvath. But none of the taxes you mention are paid by
retail purchasers of gasoline.

The end consumer pays all of the taxes as they are reflected in the price at the pump.

Elsewise, where does the money come from except from the end consumer as it flows up
the chain?

Exactly.