Old May 8th 11, 12:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Edward Feustel Edward Feustel is offline

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

On Sat, 7 May 2011 18:15:33 -0400, "Tom Rutherford"
wrote:

Hi, All.

Brand new to the newsgroup, here, and even though I did the old "Find"
routine, I couldn't find what I need.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions (preferably cookbook, but if
they come with formulas, I can deal with that, too) for building a 2m SSB
horizontal loop? I live in an apartment, which is pretty much a Faraday
cage, but I get out pretty well from my balcony, at least to the east(ish)
of the building. I have a discone out there right now, clamped to the floor
stand of an old oscillating fan that it used to be attached to. :-) I have
a similar portion of a floor lamp that I want to mount the loop onto. I
need something that will cover at least the 180º that my discone can radiate
in, as well as it does. Since 2m SSB is typically horizontal, the discone
doesn't do too well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

There is an antenna that Cushcraft used to make called a big wheel.
It had three full wave loops attached in parallel at the center.
I have 4 stacked big wheels which suppress vertical emission and
emphasize horizontal transmission. I have used this on 2M sideband
and FM. If you can get the instructions for a single big wheel from an
old ARRL antenna book, then I can give you some hints on phasing.
I expect that you will only be able to stack 2 on your balcony.
73,
Ed, N5EI