Old May 9th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

On 5/7/2011 9:51 PM, John KD5YI wrote:

Not very good. Most of the RF goes up. It is particularly bad along the
axis of the driven wire (assumes wire driven in the center). Not quite
as bad normal to that axis. Might be improvable by feeding the corner.

I think a simple vertical would do better.

Cheers,
John

Not for SSB it wouldn't. 20dB or so isolation V to H. Useless unless
within less than normal FM range.

On the flip side I've done well over 100 miles car to car with single
halos on each end with roughly 80 watts. And up to 200 with 2 stacked
halos (3 foot stacking, not much really) to a single 3 wavelength yagi
on the other end. Not a one time thing, I used to drive NNY at about
1000 miles per week doing service during the early 80's.

There are better things than the halo. The omni-angles are quite a bit
better, especially on the pattern and are simple and rugged. Less than
1 dB gain change over 360 degrees toward the horizon. A Motorola design
(that I don't remember them using) that got re-purposed for amateur.

And then there's the Big Wheel and a modern twist on it that is even
better and smaller.

tom
K0TAR