Old March 15th 04, 03:40 PM
Tim Wescott

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:46:53 +0000, Paul Burridge
wrote:

I've got quite a huge stash of inductors in my parts bin. The colour
codes don't always seem to relate to the values I've been able to
measure, with my multi-function DVM, however, and I can't accurately
measure any inductor about 10uH. Is there a circuit anywhere that
would enable me to get a reasonably accurate idea of the values I've
got down to say 100nH or thereabouts?

I'd recommend a grid dip meter and a known capacitor, but be sure to
make the test at a frequency well below the self resonant frequency of
the inductor alone.

Another thing to be wary of: Some inductors are wound on a resistor to
reduce the Q for a specific purpose. Be suspicious of any which have an
unusually broad dip.

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

This is what I do; it works well even on my questionable dip meter.

Google for "LCR" meter; see what you come up with (mostly high $
instruments, probably).