Old May 13th 11, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tom Rutherford Tom Rutherford is offline

Default Horizontal Loop for 2m SSB

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
On May 7, 6:15 pm, "Tom Rutherford" wrote:
Hi, All.

Brand new to the newsgroup, here, and even though I did the old "Find"
routine, I couldn't find what I need.

Does anyone know where I can get instructions (preferably cookbook, but if
they come with formulas, I can deal with that, too) for building a 2m SSB
horizontal loop? I live in an apartment, which is pretty much a Faraday
cage, but I get out pretty well from my balcony, at least to the east(ish)
of the building. I have a discone out there right now, clamped to the
floor
stand of an old oscillating fan that it used to be attached to. :-) I have
a similar portion of a floor lamp that I want to mount the loop onto. I
need something that will cover at least the 180º that my discone can
radiate
in, as well as it does. Since 2m SSB is typically horizontal, the discone
doesn't do too well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."

I would go with a 2M QUAD, Very easy to build cookbook style. on site
from scrounged materials. Ive used one from an apartment shooting
through a balcony door. PVC mast was made from a couple of scrap
pieces I got from the handy man. Pipe was selected so that one would
slide inside the other. Apply padding to ends to protect ceiling and
floor Think I wedged a piece of cardboard to lock the slip joint.
Inovate as required. The quad can be asily put together with out
benifit of test equipment and expected to function reasonably well
without additinal tweaking. However a knockdown Yagi can be buit ahed
of time and the elements stored inside the boom. Both are very handy.

Jimmie

Thanks, Jimmie. I was wondering about the quad, what kind of a pattern it
put out, etc. Gotta hit Google for some research.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."