Old May 14th 11, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dave dave is offline

Default (OT) Tulip Time in Holland

On 05/13/2011 05:43 PM, Wimpie wrote:
On 14 mayo, 02:07, wrote:
There are two Hollands (Provinces) in the Netherlands.North Holland and
South Holland.http://www.devilfinder.com/find.php?...he+Netherlands

Some of those wimmins at the Goodwill store look on the bottom of some
of that stuff and they see where it says Made in Holland.I have tried to
tell them before Holland is not a Country.But they are stubborn, they
don't believe me.Airheads is what they are.
cuhulin

Hello Cuhulin,

You are right. The official name is "Kingdom of the Netherlands" and
Noord& Zuid Holland are provinces like Utrecht, Gelderland,
Friesland, etc.

The problem is that the name "Holland" (for "the Netherlands") is used
frequently, even in country abbreviations. In sailing (IOC country
code), we were "HOL" (now "NED").

So when a product mentions "made in Holland" it can be manufactured
everywhere in the Netherlands. Regarding Short Wave Radio, we have
"Radio Nederland Wereldomroep (RNW)", that's fine.

More strange things: the parliament is located in The Hague, but the
capital is Amsterdam.

With kind regards,

Wim
PA3DJS