Old May 21st 11, 09:51 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting
John T John T is offline

Default Journalists visit Family Radio HQ (while they can)

* Patty Winter wrote, On 5/20/2011 10:28 PM:

How many people work at FR? And about how many of those do you think
do or don't expect to come back to work on Monday?

There's probably a hundred or so in Oakland, and maybe another hundred
or so nationwide. I'm sure some will hide out for a while until they
realize they're not getting paid for time off.

A few will arrive with stunned looks on their faces Monday morning-
whispering their speculative disappointment in the corners, looking
furtively around, wondering how this could have happened.

Many of us will simply arrive to work as usual and hope that we can
survive with an intact paycheck.

TV staff? FR has TV shows, too? I don't see any TV stations listed
on their "Stations" page.

Heh. We've always been the odd-man-out/black sheep of Family Stations.
KFTL-CD, Channel 28, San Francisco from San Bruno Mountain. Studios in
Oakland next to Family Radio headquarters.

Any video of Family Bible Study and Open Forum that have been on the
FR web site originated in our studio. Open Forum has originated from
the TV studio since 1988.

I think it's safe to say that the facilities will still be there. The
question will be whether any of the leaders will want to show their
faces again to keep their programming` on the air...

One of the board members has been hiding in Ohio this week, another
hasn't been seen at Family Radio for several weeks and the third is
Harold's daughter who doesn't appear to have a mind of her own. (But
that could be said of the other board members too. How does one get to
be as old as they are with neither testicles nor spine?)

So who's feeding the network now? The same staff that's always on
duty on weekends?

I don't know what our Network Control manager told his staff- and I'm
pretty sure radio programming will be something of a mess for a while.
Our programming people had their creativity amputated and cauterized
long ago.

I look after my own spheres of influence. I am operations manager of
KFTL-CD (Meaning that some days I manage to operate!). I am also the
default external Internet connectivity guy for FRHQ and look after the
mp3 stream encoders that function as STLs for direct-to-home satellite
uplinking in the U.K. There's a few other hats I wear from time to
time. It all sounds much more important that it really is.

JT