Old May 22nd 11, 05:11 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Journalists visit Family Radio HQ (while they can)

David Kaye wrote:

While I think Family Radio's programming is quite bogus for the most part, I
will say that they do try to do public affairs programming to relate to
their audience -- and who does pubaffairs anymore? I've heard them do
programs on diabetes, heart disease, keeping families together -- all
laudable things that hopefully help people.

Back around 1980 or so, WYFR broadcasts in the 40M combined ham/shortwave
broadcast band had a substantial second harmonic that was falling into the
20M ham band. I wrote the station engineer a nice letter describing what
was happening, and I received back a QSL card and a letter asking for money.

Over the course of the next decade or so, I continued receiving begging
letters from Family radio on and off, and as the decade went on, the quality
of the letters improved from something printed on a misaligned chain printer
on newsprint, on up to personalized letters printed with a nice daisywheel
printer on good paper, on up to letters laser printed (and this was the age
before laser printers became quite so cheap) on linen rag.

So all I can think is that SOMEONE must have been sending them money. But
it wasn't me. And the second harmonic interference continued for some time,
though not anywhere near as long as the letters.
--scott