Old May 23rd 11, 05:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default NVIS and VHF?

On Sun, 22 May 2011 20:56:52 -0500, John KD5YI
wrote:

You may be right, Jeff. But he may not have 120ft redwoods around and,
after all, this is a temporary fix until his yagi comes in.

30 years of trying to maintain a stable signal to several distant
repeaters is sufficient to convince me. Trees move and grow, causing
signals to change.

Also, temporary is a rather useless term. In my experience, if it
works, it's permanent.

Good for you! Pat yourself on the back.

Thank you for the traditional contentious remark.

You spent more words debunking the suggestion than admitting that you
don't really know whether it could help or not.

True. I spent more words explaining why I suspect it will not work,
what I expect will happen, and a bit of substantiation. I consider
this a substantial improvement over the traditional one-line
pontification.

Good move. And, by the
way, I have experience to the contrary at both 144 and 444 MHz. It all
depends on the location of the source and the receiver. At 2 meters,
some rotation of the antenna can sometimes be helpful.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you read what I had written. I said
that rotating the antenna might help temporarily, but that movements
of the trees, tree growth, swaying branches in the wind, and possibly
sources of reflections, will soon negate any temporary benefits. If
the yagi is going to arrive shortly, then tilting the antenna is
probably a useful exercise.

Note that we are not concerned with GHz.

Topic drift follows:
Since you mentioned GHz, one of the other problems with living in the
deep dark forest is that DBS satellite dish reception is a problem. I
hacked an 8ft diameter hole in the tree canopy by lopping off some
branches at about the 80ft level, through which I point my DirecTV
dish. Every year, the trees grow a little, requiring that I move the
dish around my roof. During the twice annual solar satellite outage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage
Twice a year, I photograph the sunlight shining through the hole and
onto the dish and roof. If there are shadows of branches on the dish,
I move it to a better location.
http://www.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/DBS/
Note the shadow at 12 o'clock on the dish.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D