Old May 24th 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default NVIS and VHF?

On Tue, 24 May 2011 08:24:09 -0700, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
wrote:

There may well be something wrong with the antenna. I don't have an SWR
meter handy but will try and borrow one from a club member. The J-pole
was beat around quite a bit over the years but since the radio has a
limiting circuit if the SWR is too far out of whack I am assuming it is
fairly close. It will transmit of full power.

The American Legion J-pole is rather critical, especially the dual
band flavor. The vertical section of electrical wire between the coax
connector and the part where it's wound around the driven element is
the tuning adjustment. Move it slightly and it's mistuned. You'll
need a VSWR meter to re-tune it.

I'm using 75' of
professionally assembled RG8X which is required to get from the radio to
the antenna.

RX-8x is 4.5dB loss per 100ft. Half your power is being lost in the
coax.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D