Old May 24th 11, 04:28 PM posted to ba.broadcast.moderated,rec.radio.broadcasting
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

Default There will be live Open Forum tonight.

"John T" wrote

Naturally, Camping blamed God for the failure, [....]

He seemed to be blaming himself for his inability to interpret the Bible.
What I've never understood is why God has to be so mysterious. My kind of
God would just lay it out plain and simple like.

saying that Christ had actually returned, but spiritually instead of
physically.

Yeah, that was a stretch.

One thing the press has gotten consistently wrong is the amount of
donations. The $100+ million figure they throw around is money derived
primarily from the sales of Channel 64 and the cash-plus trade of 106.9 FM
for 610 AM.

I was actually surprised that he actually mentioned this on the program. He
seemed to me, anyhow, to be remarkably candid in all this.

So, if he doesn't collect a salary from Family Radio, as evidenced by his
non-profit filing for 2009, where does he get his personal income, from his
retirement as a civil engineer for the city of Oakland?

For the moment jobs seem to be relatively safe, but that could change
depending on whether income continues or not.

Back when I knew a production guy over there he asked me if I might want to
apply for a job. This was when Family was about half the size it is today.
I said no because I wasn't a believer. The guy (I forget his name now) told
me that I didn't have to be a believer, just be able to do a good job.

There are some stations that could be sold for a better-than-tidy sum and
could fund operations for several years.

I should think there are enough commercially viable stations that they could
actually set up an endowment for the whole operation.