Old May 24th 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan is offline

Default NVIS and VHF?

Jeff Liebermann said the following on 5/24/2011 8:47 AM:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 15:53:28 -0700, 'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
wrote:

You'll see my crazy driveway
and the house. The J-pole sits about 30' above the house. Plenty of
trees in sight.

That's quite a drive. Thanks for the numbers. I've ignored the
antenna heights as they don't seem to make much difference. 31 km (19
mile) path length. The K7JEP repeater seems to be on a wide flat part
of a hilltop. Pointing downward, it may not clear the edge of the
flat part if the antenna isn't high enough. Difficult to tell without
photos or numbers. Not much you can do at your end to fix that. Any
chance you have a photo of the K7JEP repeater antenna location?

Otherwise, the path is line-o-sight, and should be quite usable with
your American Legion J-Pole. Of course, a yagi would be better, but I
think tinkering with your J-pole, coax, connectors, and radio may be a
better solution (assuming the repeater is working properly).

I have heard from a club member that the repeater is weak and it has
been overrun by one on the coast! He is much farther away than me and
in a much less desirable location, signal wise.

I have been out of HAM radio for about 15 years so am having to relearn
quite a lot. Had a brain injury, doh!, so lot's of what I knew went bye
bye. Lot's of holes in the memory. I will find out about the repeater
during the next club meeting. Specs and all.

KML file:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/kml/N6SXR-to-K7JEP.kml

JPG image:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/kml/N6SXR-to-K7JEP.jpg

Hint: In Google Earth, enable 3D. When you have the KML file
displayed, stomp on the MIDDLE mouse button to tilt the image.

--
'Captain' Kirk DeHaan
N6SXR

"Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life here"