Old March 19th 04, 12:20 PM
Jan-Martin Noeding, LA8AK

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 10:46:53 +0000, Paul Burridge
wrote:

Hi all,

I've got quite a huge stash of inductors in my parts bin. The colour
codes don't always seem to relate to the values I've been able to
measure, with my multi-function DVM, however, and I can't accurately
measure any inductor about 10uH. Is there a circuit anywhere that
would enable me to get a reasonably accurate idea of the values I've
got down to say 100nH or thereabouts?

Thanks,

p.

Another idea which not seems to be mentioned, but won't let you
measure down to nH, is to put an accurate 10µH coil in series with the
meter, and you should at least measure with reasonable accuracy down
to 1µH or lower. You may buy ready made coils down to below 100nH
which can be used to check the calibration.

My over 50 years old Radiometer multimeter uses this technique and
measures well down to 20nH. I made my own meter with 18MHz oscillator
to meassure 0.01-1uH

LA8AK

----
Jan-Martin, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand