Old March 20th 04, 04:57 PM
David Honey

Airy R. Bean wrote:

I have no experience of the Elecraft kits, but I suspect
that the packing density of components on their PCB's
would mediate against future maintenance and fault-finding?

No, I don't think so. Have built a K2 #4030 about 8 weeks ago
with SSB balanced modulator and DSP options. It uses no SMDs
(except one case described below) and you can get at most things
for both DC measurements or for attaching a scope probe to.
On the DSP, there is a piggy-back board pre-manufactured with
the DSP chip as an SMD. Elecraft publish a DC voltage table
to assist in trouble shooting. The email reflector had plenty
of knowldeable Elecraft owners to assist or make suggesstions
and the Elecraft post-sales support is also good.

Also built a KX1 for a white stick op ham friend. If anything,
the component density on that and the add-on boards is higher
than the K2. It uses a couple of SMDs, the main one for the DDS.
But apart from that, most things are accessible. The KX1
was an ideal rig for my friend to take on holiday since it's
small and supports eyes-free operation with CW feedback.

73, David, M0DHO