Old March 22nd 04, 01:27 AM
Reg Edwards

Let me clarify. Because Q is largely out of your control, the logical way
of circuit design is FIRST OF ALL to allocate a practical, reasonably
attainable value of Q to the inductor, taking the SPACE AVAILABLE into
account.

Then design the remainder of the circuit around it to meet the required
objectives. You really have no alternative.

Choosing a starting value for Q without knowing the inductance depends
entirely on experience and visual imagination. But you will find program
SOLNOID2 very useful in getting you in the right ballpark - only after you
decide on the space and clearance available for a coil.

I'm still toying with the idea of using an oscillator locked to the 5th
harmonic. Q and size of the coil don't matter two hoots. And you have all
the output you could possibly want.

On second thoughts I would probably have gone about the whole job in an
entirely different manner. ;o)
----
Reg, G4FGQ