Old June 5th 11, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Michael[_10_] Michael[_10_] is offline

Default The Lazy H does not seem to exhibit any gain over a dipole in thereal world

On Jun 4, 11:42*am, Richard Clark wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jun 2011 07:04:28 -0700 (PDT), Michael

wrote:
but the final
verdict is not what I had hoped.

probably because it is unbalanced by being connected:to the antenna tuner

which through its ground connection unbalances the Lazy H.

For the entire duration of your discussion, I've seen no treatment for
common mode problems that you have described by various symptoms in
the past. *Your complaint of poor performance is a chief indicator.

Other indications have ranged variably from glaring beyond that to not
apparent yet remaining a problem still, as is obvious by the poor gain
performance for all variations.

You already have the solution in the other antenna: a 1:1 balun and then 50 ohm coax is a solid
performer

provided the BalUn is a W2DU.

Your problem is NOT the antenna!

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

The tuners I have both have built in baluns. After I took down the
Lazy H I put up a delta loop with 300 ohm twin lead back to the same
balanced line tuner connections. The delta loop out performed the
dipole by a hair, but the delta loop has a height advantage over the
dipole.

I have some other baluns lying around. I suppose I could hook the
450 ladder line to one of those baluns and then connect a coax jumper
between it and the antenna tuner and try it. It seems like they may
be W2AU baluns. I bought them back in the 1990s, but I have not looked
at the labels in awhile.

I still may try the end fed Lazy H with the twist.

Michael