Old June 8th 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Any ideas on the screen reflector size for a Lazy H antenna?

On 6/8/2011 7:37 AM, Michael wrote:
I've noticed several sites (and books) show screen reflectors for
various multiple driven element broadside arrays, but I have not seen
any dimensions given for a screen reflector. I am aware that a
parasitic reflector for a yagi is about 5% longer than the driven
element. Is the same true for a screen reflector for a broadside
array like the Lazy H antenna?

Screen reflectors aren't critical in terms of size.. bigger is better,
of course, and there's some sort of point of diminishing returns, but
basically, it's providing some approximation of a "infinite perfectly
conducting plane"... Sort of like a counterpoise for a vertical monopole..

Now, one could greatly reduce the amount of wire needed at the expense
of bandwidth, etc., by putting a tuned reflector in, as you've noted.