Old March 23rd 04, 02:30 AM
Roy Lewallen

Tom Bruhns wrote:

It's sad but true that some manufacturers use "560" to indicate 56pF
and some use "560" to indicate 560pF. I've fretted over this same
thing in the past. I have examples of both. Fortunately, the trend
seems to be toward the usage that, as you say, is common sense. Too
bad it has not been universal.

Me, too. I solved the problem some time ago by picking up a really cheap
DMM that measures capacitance as an extra feature. I'm sure it's not
super precise, but it can easily tell the difference between 56 and 560
pF. My capacitors are sorted by decade in plastic drawers. Questionable
ones get checked before going into (or back into) the drawer, so from
then on I can tell which it is by which drawer it's in.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL