Old March 24th 04, 03:34 AM
Paul_Morphy

"Bob P" wrote in message
y.com...
Intentional or not, the article makes ham radio sound pathetic and
antiquated. I'm starting to wonder if the ARRL is making much ado about
nothing in order to collect money from a dwindling membership.
Bob
kb8tl at yahoo dot com

Read the articles they link to on their site, arrl.org, about tests
performed in other countries. Most countries that have experimented with BPL
have abandoned it. I think BPL is just another scam. What does a power
company know about running broadband networks? They couldn't even keep their
own grid on line last year. They'll offer BPL at bargain prices to steal
marketshare from DSL and cable. Then the service will go to hell and the
prices will hit the heavens.

The difference between the U.S. and the other countries involved in testing
BPL is, there are a lot of 1.5-kW stations in this country. Maybe after a
few BPL modems melt down, the power companies will find other ways to gouge
their customers.

"PM"