Old March 24th 04, 04:31 PM
Tom Bruhns

(Alan Horowitz) wrote in message ...
a city I visit frequently -or more precisely, it's exurban outskirts -
has only one mellow-Jazz FM-broadcast station, the only one for many
hundreds of miles.

thus I have decided to build my own single-station hi-performance
receiver to get the one station.

Exactly what will make it "hi-performance"? I'd like to get this
nailed down early here. That is, it would really help to know answers
to things like:

What distortion performance do you want to get? (Will you be able to
deliver a clean enough signal from the antenna to get to the desired
performance level?)

What will the level of the desired signal be at the receiver antenna
terminals?

What will the strongest unwanted signals be: level and relative
frequency?

What resources do you have available for design, construction and
testing?

Will this receiver be in a fixed location, or do you want it to be
easily portable? How much power can it draw?

Others may well think of questions to add, before we go off into the
weeds with unproductive answers.

Cheers,
Tom