Old June 29th 11, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Curtain Quad - Real gain or antenna snake oil?

On 6/28/2011 1:11 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

-Michael Rawls
KS4HY

Hi Michael,

Looks like the author went to a lot of trouble - with passion.

There is nothing unreasonable about the design or the results.
However, you should note these designs are highly removed from
ground's proximity which can skew many, finely tuned projects.

You should also note what is typically referred to as the decline on
return for your investment as the design gets bigger. Further, in
actual construction, you rarely obtain the mathematical precision that
is required to enjoy the forecasted results.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Hi Richard,

I note that these were designed at 1296. They would likely be a
practical antenna on that band and ground would not be an issue although
trees may be.

I wonder how hard it would be to make one as a printed circuit board?

Not too long do I wonder. The structure will be exactly as defined
within limits of the board specs.

The only issue is how large PCB stock I can buy.

tom
K0TAR