Old July 4th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Edward Knobloch Edward Knobloch is offline

Default Jphnson Ranger and Valiant instability (was No posts... )

On 7/3/2011 3:30 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
snip Instead you might have posted
something interesting about boatanchors, like what could be the reason
for my Ranger VFO's frequency jumps on 7MHz and higher. The jumps persisted
even after I replaced all components, only now I had frequency drift, too,
which was to be expected. So I re-installed the original parts.

Hi,

You might try improving the grounding of the final plate tune capacitor,
to elliminate an rf feedback path, as pointed out by Tom Rauch, W8JI:

http://www.w8ji.com/johnson_vfo_chirp_jump.htm

Tom is the designer of various amps in the Ameritron line.

73,
Ed Knobloch