Old December 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Henry Kolesnik

The impedance of a transmission line is dependent on the physical
characteristics such as conductor spacing, conductor size and the insulation
characteristics. Impedance is an AC parameter and can't be measured with an
ordinary DC ohmeter. But if you had an infinite length of any transmission
line unterminated and connected an impedance bridge, it would read the
characteristic impedance. The ARRL handbook or any decent antenna books
will have the formulas you want and IIRC there's no factors for grandmas or
cheeseburgers, hi hi.
hank wd5jfr
"Dan Jacobson" wrote in message
Dear antenna pros, I've always taken it for grunted about the
300/75/50 ohms of TV ribbon, coax, etc. But how does one measure it?
My ohmsmeter doesn't budge. Is there some standard formula, like wrap
grandma 100 times, with the far end connected to a cheeseburger in her
mouth, the near end finally displaying the characteristic 300/75/50
whatever ohmses?