Old July 20th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Best Self Supporting Vertical Multi-band Antenna for RestrictedNeighborhoods

On 7/19/2011 3:21 PM, Jay Scherberth wrote:
Hi,

Just getting back on the air after many years of silence and I find
myself struggling over the choice of antennas. I need something that I
can easily raise and lower (get out of site due to CCR rules) so we're
talking about a compromise. I do have room for a couple of radials
(max 30 ft) as long as they can buried in the ground 180 degrees apart
(not ideal). The antenna will have to be installed within about 4 feet
from the side of my house. I was hoping to find a self supporting
vertical betwwen 30 and 40 ft hight that could pivit at the base
(might need to purchase that separately) so it can be laid down flat
on the ground next to the house when not in use.

Pivoting is easy. You can buy a nifty thing from a variety of
suppliers, or you can use a couple pieces of 2x4 and a gate hinge.

Or, if you're stronger.. you can use the removable tetherball pole
approach: a pipe in the ground as a socket, into which you plug the
antenna pole.

A gate hinge with a removable pin (a standard door hinge works, too) is
nice, because then you can actually disconnect the antenna and carry it
away if you like.

You could probably adapt a "swing away" bike rack too.

I plan on purchasing
an auto tuner if necessary. The vertical can have no physical radials
on the antenna itself.

Autotuner and vertical is a great combination (if the tuner is at the
base of the antenna, particularly)

And by the way, I live in the hills above Henderson, NV so the quality
of the ground isn't good; lots of rock and hard clay with poor
drainage.

The only problem with "long antenna on high bands" is that the pattern
gets kind of wonky. If you care about this, then something like a 6BTV
trapped vertical might be a better solution. Still with the autotuner
(because it means you don't have to worry about the adjusting the
antenna or it changing as the soil moisture changes, etc.)

Purchase price up to $400.00 OK. Any ideas of what might work in my
situation?

Galvanized Fence Top Rail is a very cheap pipe available in 20 foot lengths.

EMT (thin wall conduit) is another.

If it's next to something (the house?).. how tall is the house? Can you
just suspend a wire?

That should get you started...