Old July 20th 11, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Sal[_3_] Sal[_3_] is offline

Default Best Self Supporting Vertical Multi-band Antenna for Restricted Neighborhoods

"Richard Clark" wrote in message

Google for "Sleeve Dipole" (a vertical) which consists of staged
tubing, the upper element insulated from the lower. Do not connect
the lower element to ground. Thread the driveline coax up inside the
lower element and connect the shield to the top inside of the lower
element. Connect the coax inner lead to the bottom of the upper
element.

As I said, google for images as this description may frustrate you.

Invest the rest of your money (after buying sufficient quantity of
tubing) in your tuner. You may still have a lot left over.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

One of these for 10m was the first HF antenna I ever built. I wish I had
known then about decoupling the feed line, as I never could get repeatable
VSWR data, possibly due to common mode current. Maybe I'll rebuild it and
try again with a suitable choke.

I read about the sleeve dipole before I built it and I will pass on a
caution: The end where the cable comes out is a high voltage point
(expected for the ends of dipoles); higher powers may punch through the coax
outer jacket to the coax shield. I use a piece of PVC plumbing pipe as
additional separation inside the lower element and never had an issue.

"Sal"

Happy building.