Old July 21st 11, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jim Lux Jim Lux is offline

Default Best Self Supporting Vertical Multi-band Antenna for RestrictedNeighborhoods

On 7/20/2011 7:20 AM, W8CCW wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jul 2011 22:53:57 -0000, wrote:

I don't have any CCR problems but I do have a vertical antenna of
about 28 feet cobbled together and the SGC-237 does a great job with
it. The SGC-237 is pricey but I don't think it can be beat.

I favor the SG239... it's cheaper, and I can fabricate a weather proof
enclosure for a lot less than the price difference to the SG-237. SG239
handles twice as much power, for all that's worth.

Several years ago I used 4 fifty foot extention cords on top of the
ground for radials and it did work. I experiment with antennas a lot,
so everything at my qth is always changing.

Perhaps you can glean a little inspiration from
http://dixienc.us/28FtVert/28FtVertical.htm

There are some nice light weight fiberglass whips on the market in the
$100 range. One of these days I will follow that path.

Electrical conduit, or PVC pipe with some wire on or in it are other ideas.

Conduit is about as cheap as you can get, and it's available in lots of
different sizes. It's light weight too, so putting it up and down is easy.

Yes, it won't stand up to a hurricane.. but hey, you scrap your $10
investment in cheap galvanized steel and buy some more.