Old April 3rd 04, 08:27 PM
Fred McKenzie

wonder what is the difference between enam. cu wire and magnet wire

Jan-Martin-

To the best of my knowlege, the only difference is that you could use other
kinds of insulation on wire to be used for magnets. In other words, enameled
copper wire is one type of magnet wire. Other insulating materials such as
cloth, fiberglass and asbestos have been used.

I got started in electronics by tearing up discarded radios for their parts.
Radios from the 1930s and 1940s had speakers that used an electromagnet instead
of the permanent magnet used in most of today's speakers. In additon to
providing the speaker's magnetic field, the electromagnet acted as a filter
choke inductor for the radio's power supply. Those old speakers were a good
source of enameled copper wire.

73, Fred, K4DII