Old July 21st 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default 20 meter delta lop

In article ,
wrote:

Hello 1st post here.

I have made 20 meter delta loop.
What I am thinking is...
If I also make a 40 meter loop, and a 10 meter loop, putting them either
side of the 20 loop. As in the 20 loop in the middle. The 40 behind, the 10
in front.
With suitable spacing, all strung on 3 fishing poles.
Will this work as a directional beam of sorts hopefully all 3 bands.
I am hoping 3 traditional elements on 20,
even driven element on 40 /with 2 directors,
and on 10 with 2 reflectors.
I know the lengths of the director's and reflectors won't be as standard but
with a tuner does anyone will it work to a degree?

I think you'd need to model it out with NEC to see if it would work.

I'm unclear as to whether you're planning to have separate feedlines
for the three delta loops, or whether you were thinking of just
driving one of the loops on all three bands and having the other two
loops be entirely passive. If you are thinking of driving the three
loops separately, I'm uncertain what you intend to do with the other
two loops - leave the feedlines open, short the feedlines, or
disconnect the loops from the feedlines and short the loops closed at
the feedpoint.

You'll be facing a few significant issues, when trying to use the
un-driven loops as directors / reflectors. For the sake of simplicity
I'll assume that the un-driven loops will be purely passive loops of
the expected length (e.g. no feedlines, or with the loop shorted
closed at the feedpoint).

For example, on 20:

- The 10-meter loop is going to be only a half-wavelength long. It
won't resonate (or be anything close to resonance), but will
instead have a low radiation resistance and a very high reactive
impedance. As a result it will probably be almost "invisible" at
20 meters, and will not carry enough currents to affect the pattern
significantly.

- The 40-meter loop will be about 2 wavelengths long. Although it may
be at (or close to) a second-harmonic resonance, the currents in it
would not line up well with those in the fundamental-resonance
20-meter loop, and the effect on the main loop's overall radiation
pattern would probably be quite weird.

Similarly, on 40, the two smaller loops will be highly reactive and
thus almost "invisible". On 10, the two larger loops may resonate,
but with current patterns which don't add well to that of the 10-meter
loop and thus affect the pattern in weird ways.

There's another option: use some nested passive delta loops. Mount a
second 10-meter delta loop (tuned a bit lower in frequency than you
normally operate) suspended inside the 20-meter delta. Mount a second
20-meter loop (again, tuned a bit on the low side) inside the 40-meter
delta. This would give you the effect of a two-element beam (radiator
and reflector) on 10 and 20 meters, without affecting 40-meter
operation significantly.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO