Old April 11th 04, 03:19 PM
Leon Heller

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:14:56 +0200, "Fred Bartoli"
r_AndThisToo wrote:

Don't let Paul dream too much about picoseconds.

Well, quite. I wouldn't know what to do with all those extra
harmonics, anyway. :-)
Diodes sound great, but I'm heavily put off by that comment earlier in
the thread that they're prone to self oscillation. :-( What's a
"parametric device" anyway?

Parametric operation is when you have a parameter such as diode capacitance
that varies with voltage. The non-linearity of the parameter makes it act as
a multiplier, mixer or an amplifier. Parametric amplifiers (they need to be
'pumped' with an oscilllator) used to be very popular for microwave use. If
you have inadvertently make yourself a parametric amplifier with your diode
it could oscillate given the right conditions and do all sorts of strange
things. In your hands, this is a strong possibility. 8-)

Leon