Old February 25th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Phil Kane Phil Kane is offline

Default Human-powered portable power generation

On 25 Feb. 2007 02:05:42 -0500, Steve Bonine wrote
hand-cranked generators:

Anyway, the point is that they're *very* tiring to use. You see this
vintage footage where they're in use, and you forget that they guys
making them work are probably 18-20 years old. I was dismayed at how
hard I had to work to get a few watts of power. Plus, the device was
very heavy and unweildy.

Years ago when I was doing ship radio safety inspections, we had to
test the lifeboat hand-cranked radios. We would always ask the master
to assign one of the seamen (affectionately called "deck apes") to lug
and crank it. I tried doing it myself once - and once was enough. I'd
rather operate the radio...
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest