Old February 28th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
[email protected] k8mn@earthlink.net is offline

Default Emergency power alternatives

On Feb 26, 7:37 pm, "Bill Horne, W1AC"
wrote:
Fellow ham,

A post from LA4RT has made me realize that "Human powered" power
generation is too narrow a scope for this discussion, so I'm starting a
new thread.

Let's hear ideas about alternative sources of power for radios: we might
be unable to find steam-driven units ;-) but there's always more that
one way to skin a cat.

I'll ask that some methods be omitted, for the reasons shown:

1. Portable generators - too expensive, and they can't go on airplanes.
2. Solar - can't rely on sunlight, especially after a
weather-related incident.

There are probably designs for power generation in undeveloped areas, so
let's see pointers to that kind of info along with the "Store bought"
machines.

Bill

I live in a rural area where quite a number of folks have free natural
gas through leases of wells to Columbia Gas. It is quite inexpensive
to convert a gasoline generator for natural gas (or even propane)
use. There is an outfit near Summersville, West Virginia which sells
a kit of all things needed for as little as $80, including a six inch
pancake regulator. I use a Craftsman/Generac unit capable of 4,000
watts. It is capable of not only providing power for the radio gear,
but it means that we have running (well) water, power for the gas
furnace controls/blower, lights and refrigeration.

For local ARES work, I depend upon mobile and handheld equipment.

Dave K8MN