Old February 28th 07, 04:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Bill Horne, W1AC Bill Horne, W1AC is offline

Default Human-powered portable power generation

Steve Bonine wrote:

Have you ever actually *used* one of those WWII generators? grin

[snip]

I've found some links to modern versions.

http://www.designthatmatters.org/new...rvardFinal.pdf
http://courses.ece.uiuc.edu/ece445/p...inal_paper.doc
http://web.media.mit.edu/~nitin/thin...pedalpower.txt
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/17330
http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/pedgen.html
http://www.scienceshareware.com/bicy...erator-faq.htm
http://www.econvergence.net/electro.htm
http://www.alternative-energy-news.i...ews2006-01.php
http://www.bikefriday.com/pipermail/...er/003231.html
http://www.evconvert.com/article/free-ev-energy
http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_links.html

This was from a Google search for '"human powered" alternator pedal'.

Some really good info came up:

1. Alternators are only about 30% efficient (URL 2), so
permanent magnet DC motors would be a better choice for
long-term use. However, alternators are more easily
available and I'd like to keep them as an option.
2. There are a lot of designs for using an unmodified
bicycle to spin a generator. These are good because
any source of torque would work as well.
3. There are two types of info: practical plans, often
made for use in developing countries, and store-bought
gadgets that cost more than my FT-890. I've included both
types, but you'll have to dig a bit to get to the good stuff.

HTH. YMMV (pun intended).

ob.disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with, and don't know any of the
people or companies mentioned in these web pages. Nobody paid me to
reprint these URLs here, and I get no money or commission or anything
else from anything you buy. If you fry your nads trying to build one,
poison the environment for a thousand years, or lose your
fingers/hands/whatever, don't blame me. Use at your own risk. Don't try
this at home. Batteries not included.

--
73,

Bill W1AC

(Remove "73" and change top level domain for direct replies)